skip navigation

Wildcats Experience Difficult Night on the Mats

By Joe Ginley '12 , 12/21/18, 12:30PM EST


As the old adage goes, some nights, you eat the bear. Other nights, the bear eats you.

On a rainy night in Ohio City, the powerhouse program from Lakewood got the best of the Wildcats. 

The Saint Ignatius varsity gold wrestling team experienced a tough loss at Sullivan Gym on Thursday evening, losing to the St. Edward Eagles, 75-0.

The Wildcats entered the match facing some adversity. Some of the team's top wrestlers, including DJ Huff and Zach Morgan, were forced to sit out on Thursday due to injury. A couple of Mat Cats also returned to the mat for the first time this season after overcoming early afflictions. 

Amidst the adversity and stiff competition, the hard-working Wildcats still battled hard.

The night began at 106 with a showdown between Johnny Novak of the Wildcats and Sean Seefeldt of the Eagles. Seefeldt started strong in the close match, building a 7-3 advantage by the end of the first. Novak started the second with a wonderful escape, but could not overcome the early deficit. Novak lost by decision, 9-5. 

At 113, Grayson McLellan faced off with Rich Delsanter, brother of Anthony Delsanter '18. McLellan could not hold off the Eagles' young star, succumbing to a pin in the second period at 3:05.

The 120 bout featured Jack Bush in a fierce battle with Jack Elmore. The contest took the full three periods, with Elmore emerging with an 11-3 major decision for St. Edward.  

Matthew Whipkey repped the Wildcats at 126 against senior Angelo Rini. Whipkey fought hard, but lost to Rini, a Columbia commit by tech fall, 22-6. 

At 132, Patrick McGraw took on Scott Richter in a great bout. McGraw fought valiantly, working through the entire three periods. Ultimately, the team captain could not score, but held Richter to just 4 points, losing via a 4-0 decision.

Evan Arko took the mat at 138 vs. talented Eagles freshman Luke  Geog. Arko battled, but could not avoid a second-period pin.

Due to injury, the Wildcats were forced to forfeit 145, 152, and 160, adding to the growing deficit.

The match resumed in full with sophomore Andrew Chime matching up with the Eagles' Mike Garcar. Chime could not contain his elder competitor, losing via a pin in the first. 

Junior Josh Dinya also lost to an older foe at 182 in senior Conor Beard. The loss also came via a first period pin.

At 195, Tommy Gill took part in his first match of the season. His return to the mat ended in a first period pin to Nick Lisco, but Gill will be a contender down the stretch this season. 

Carter Zimmerman faced an Eagle for the first time as a varsity wrestler on Thursday, and it came against a very tough opponent in senior Seamus O'Malley. Zimmerman lost via pin in the first period, but Zimmerman's future is very bright.

The match ended at 285. Seamus McCarthy worked hard, but lost to heavyweight Brian Kilbane in a second period pin.   

The loss dropped the Wildcats to 2-1 in dual matches this year. Following a nice Christmas break, the Mat Cats will return to action in the Brecksville Holiday Tournament on December 28 and 29.

Thank you to all attended last night's match. Have a very Merry Christmas!