skip navigation

Wildcats Keep a Clean Sheet Against the Preppers

By Jack Brennan '24, 09/08/22, 11:15AM EDT


The Soccer Cats defeat University School 4-0 as Pat McLaughlin keeps the Preppers off the board.

OHIO CITY, Oh - The Wildcat soccer team took on the University School Preppers at Wasmer Field last Wednesday. The Cats came into the contest with a 4-0 record and coming off of a Jesuit Cup victory the previous weekend. The Preppers came in with a 4-1 record, having won their last two matches by six goals each. 

Head Soccer Coach Mike McLaughlin ‘85 told the players going into the game that US was not an opponent to be taken lightly. Stating that they are an excellent side with the potential to make a run in the playoffs. 

Tactically, the Wildcats would begin in a 4-1-2-3 formation with Onodi, Mueller and Sullivan up front. Spicer and Trickett are in the midfield. Mikulec at holding mid and Nader, Vargo Maruca, and Vlastaris at the back. US would come out in a 4-3-2-1. 

US came out of the gates aggressively and looked to take down the titan, the Saint Ignatius soccer team. The Wildcats would refuse to let it rattle them and forge ahead, getting chance after chance. It would be in the 21st minute that they would finally come through with a goal. 

Zsombor Onodi would hit a set piece into the box, the US goalkeeper struggled to control the intense shot of Onodi and it would take a deflection right off of the keeper’s chest. Brady Mueller would find himself right at the end of the deflection to tap the ball in and put the Cats in front.

Despite the goal, the Preppers would continue to apply pressure on the Wildcat offense for the next fifteen minutes. That is until the Wildcats found themselves with a corner kick with but a minute to go in the half. Nathan Trickett was the man to step up and play the service in and what a service it was, playing it right to the head of Owen Sullivan, who would redirect the ball with a header right into the back of the net. 

Man of the Match vs. University School: Patrick McLaughlin

In the 52nd minute, the Cats would show off their incredible synergy, as Trickett would lay off a ball to Onodi, who would immediately get the ball back to Trickett, who would have a touching score a magnificent goal, putting the Wildcats up 3-0.

The Wildcats would continue to hold firm on the defensive end while getting opportunities on goal. They would get one final breakthrough in the 70th minute when Trickett would string a pass to Owen Sullivan, who would subsequently find Spicer clear on the net. Spicer would chip the ball over the arms of the goalkeeper and give the Cats their fourth and final goal of the competition.

The Wildcats would hold on defensively for the remainder of the match and when the full-time whistle blew, it was 4-0 in favor of St. Ignatius. The Wildcats advance to 5-0 on the year, extending their goal differential to 32-3. After a Labor Day weekend break, they will go on to play against St. Charles Prep of Columbus on Friday, September 9th at St. Charles Prep.